Matthew K. Skarin, CFLS*Partner Family Law
Matthew Skarin is a Certified Family Law Specialist, a CPA and has his California Real Estate Broker License. Prior to law school, Mr. Skarin worked for the accounting firms of Deloitte & Touche and Miller and Co., doing both tax and compliance work. Matthew uses his wide variety of legal and financial skills to effectively and artfully guide high net worth individuals, business owners, and investors through the process of dissolution. Through Matthew’s extensive experience he is able to discern the potential pitfalls to his client early in the case, allowing him the opportunity to communicate these issues to the client and take steps to minimize exposure.
Matthew approaches each client’s case from a fresh perspective, developing a strategy for his clients early in their case. He works with his clients to ensure that everything is done to meet their goals. Matthew’s clients appreciate his hands on approach and his availability to discuss their concerns during this particularly challenging time. Matthew believes that the best way to get the results his clients are looking for is through strategic planning, anticipating the arguments of the opposition, and openly communicating his strategies with his clients.
During law school, Mr. Skarin clerked for Judge Bluebond in the Federal Bankruptcy Court in Los Angeles and was an extern in the Clinical Honors Program with the California Attorney General’s Office in the Business and Tax division. Additionally, Matthew was a staff member of the Loyola Law School Entertainment Law Review.
- U.S. District Court
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Member, Beverly Hills Bar Association
- Member of the Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Family Law Section
- Member, Association of Certified Family Law Specialists
- Member, Los Angeles Regional Standing Committee of Flexcom
Honors, Awards & Accomplishments
- Super Lawyers Rising Stars
- Named a Rising Star by LA Magazine, 2015-2016
- AV Preeminent Rating with Martindale-Hubbell
- Pro bono lawyer for Jenesse Center, Inc., which is the oldest domestic violence intervention program in South Los Angeles.
- Board Member, West Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Los Angeles Trial Lawyers Charities (LATLC)
- Mentor, Loyola Law School First Year & Alumni Mentor Program
- “Family Basics for the Non-Practitioner” for Armenian Bar Association’s CLE + Soiree
- “5 Reasons Your Client Should Have a Premarital Agreement” – Attorney at Law Magazine Vol. 2 No. 10, 2016
- Mr. Skarin discussed what one should do about personal information on the internet during a divorce in Divorce Magazine online.
- “Confessions of a Marriage Counselor: 6 Money Lies That Wreck Marriages” – NBC 12News
- “Inside Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie’s ‘Strained’ Divorce Negotiations as Temporary Agreement About the Kids Ends” – People.com
- Interviewed on the radio show “David & Friends”
- “Is Child Support Taxable Income?” – GoBankingRates.com
- “5 Signs You Aren’t Ready to Combine Finances With Your Partner” – GoBankingRates.com