Wallace S. Fingerett, CFLS*Partner Family Law
Bill Fingerett is a Partner and Certified Family Law Specialist at FMBK with over forty years of experience. He understands both the financial and emotional needs of his family law clients and their children. During your initial meeting with Bill, he will write down your goals and make sure that each is addressed throughout every stage of the legal process. Bill has extensive experience representing clients in custody matters, including move-away cases and Hague Convention cases. He has also litigated, settled and mediated child and spousal support matters, as well as financial issues, such as valuing and dividing assets, including businesses, real estate, investment and retirement accounts. In addition, Bill represents clients in civil palimony suits, same sex relationships and families with special needs. He also litigates the validity of pre and post marital agreements.
Bill makes every effort to settle a client’s case, whether it be through mediation or settlement conferences, however, if a case cannot be settled Bill knows that preparation of cases is what leads to a successful outcome for his clients. For this reason, during every initial consultation with a prospective client, Bill begins thinking about preparing his client’s case for trial. Bill’s years of litigation experience, extensive preparation for trial and comfort in the courtroom makes him your number one asset.
In addition to his work at FMBK, Bill works as a pro bono attorney, concentrating on human rights issues. He is devoted to assisting women and children political refugees from Central America. Bill makes frequent appearances in an Immigration Court located in the small town of Dilley, Texas, in response to the government’s inhumane detention of children and their mothers who have valid claims to asylum under our laws. Bill also volunteers on behalf of Alliance for Children’s Rights, an organization that assists families to achieve safe, stable homes, healthcare and education for foster children, specifically children with learning disabilities.
One of Bill’s favorite legal quotes was made by John Adams, who, in 1761 wrote of the lawyer’s responsibility, “to what greater object, to what great character, can we aspire as lawyers than to assist the helpless and friendless in a worthy cause [?] I say there is none. To devote your skill and energy to the plight of another, without the promise of a material reward for oneself, is what sets us apart as professionals.”
Professional Associations & Memberships
Honors, Awards & Accomplishments
- Super Lawyers
- Named a Super Lawyer by LA Magazine, 2009-2017
- Best Lawyers, 2013-2018
- AV preeminent rating with Martindale Hubbell
- Named to ALM’s “Top Rated Lawyers” list 2012 which features lawyers who have achieved an AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating, the highest rating in legal ability and ethical standards
- Pro Bono Attorney
- Senior Citizens Center in Van Nuys and Reseda
- Haven Hills Women’s Shelter in San Fernando Valley
- Ventura County Family Services in Thousand Oaks
- On behalf of Asylum applicants in Texas
- Alliance for Children’s Rights
- CARA Family Detention Pro Bono Project
- “Why Your Client May Need a Cohabitation Agreement” – Attorney at Law Magazine Vol. 3 No. 3, 2017
- Panelist for Beverly Hills Bar Association’s Nuts & Bolts CLE “100 Days Before Trial”